6 Things Every MMA Fighter Should Do Before A Fight
The fight scene in MMA in Brisbane is really exciting right now, and we’re seeing more fighters than ever signing up with Nationally Registered Fighters Australia to connect with industry professionals and fight competitively. We love seeing the number of people actively participating in competitive MMA, and we want to help people find MMA fights in Brisbane. The team at Nationally Registered Fighters Australia has a few top tips to help you prepare physically and mentally right before you step into the ring.
Hydration is vital for your physical and mental performance, so you need to make sure you take in enough water in the minutes before your fight. Fighting while dehydrated can lead to loss of fluid surrounding the brain and put you at a higher risk of brain injury. The combative nature of MMA and the tendency to cut before a weigh-in puts our fighters at greater risk of dehydration-related hazards.
We recommend that just before a fight you drink a 6% carbohydrate solution with electrolytes, isotonic with a pinch of salt, skimmed-milkshakes, or coconut water to keep you hydrated and energised. When rehydrating throughout the fight, take small sips so you retain fluid.
Do Some Breathing Exercises/Meditation
MMA requires as much mental strength as physical strength, and this is where deep breathing and meditation will help. Rather than the usual pre-fight mental talk, try doing meditation and breathing exercises right before you step into the cage or ring . The health benefits include;
- Reduced stress
- Enhanced stamina
- More control over shortness of breath
- Increase in speed recovery
- Enhanced endurance
- Improved digestion and blood pressure
If you’re unsure of how to meditate or new to the practice, there are a vast range of resources available for you to use. There are apps, podcasts, YouTube channels, and Spotify playlists dedicated to helping people find inner peace.
Listen To Some Music To Get You In The Zone
After you’ve done some deep breathing and meditation, it’s time to pump yourself up and get your head in the zone. Studies have shown that music with aggressive lyrics and fast beats are the most effective in getting fighters pumped up, but it comes down to personal preference. Here are a few of the best pump-up songs (that aren’t ‘Eye Of The Tiger’) to listen to in the moments before you step in the ring;
- ‘Till I Collapse’ – Eminem
- ‘We Will Rock You’ – Queen
- ‘The Realist Killaz’ – 2Pac
- ‘Hypnotize’ – The Notorious B.I.G
- ‘Started From The Bottom’ – Drake
- ‘Monster’ – Kanye West
Check-In With Your Trainer
If you have any concerns, doubts, fears, or just need to talk to someone before your fight, check in with your trainer. MMA gyms in Brisbane have fantastic coaches and trainers that commit themselves to their fighters’ success and can help you work through mental hurdles right before you step into the ring.
Check Out The Competition Without Judging
It’s hard to step into a fight without sizing up your opponent and judging them a little, but try your hardest to avoid setting expectations.
- Don’t assume anything about your opponent. Whether your competitor is bigger or smaller than you, looks stronger or looks weaker, is calm or nervous; try not to assume anything. Focus on yourself and what you can do once you’re in the ring.
- Don’t lose confidence. Just because your opponent is strutting around and looks unshakable, doesn’t mean they’re better than you. You’ve trained hard for this moment, so don’t lose confidence at the last second.
- Don’t think about the outcome of the fight. At the end of the day, one of you will win, and the other will lose, and you can only do what you can in the ring. Don’t agonise over whether or not you’ll win just before the fight. Instead, try to clear your mind and remember everything you’ve learned.
Enjoy The Moment
This is the moment you have been training for. The blood, sweat and tears, the endless training sessions that both physically and mentally exhausted you, the strict dieting and skipping drinks with your friends; it all led to this moment. This is your time to shine, so enjoy every moment of it.
Nationally Registered Fighters Australia Are Here To Help Fighters Find MMA Fights In Brisbane
Nationally Registered Fighters Australia is one of Australia’s leading resources for fighters, gyms, trainers, promoters, businesses, and sponsors working within combat sports. Whether your sport of choice is boxing, Muay Thai, MMA, or Kickboxing; Nationally Registered Fighters will help you find opportunities to get in the ring and progress your career. Our founder and CEO, Melina Yung, is an accomplished former Muay Thai champion and understands first-hand the difficulties fighters face with self-promotion, booking fights, and accessing support. She has brought her experience and expertise to Nationally Registered Fighters to create a platform that fighters all over the country can use to reach their full potential. If you’re looking for MMA fights in Brisbane, consider joining Nationally Registered Fighters today. We can’t wait to see where your career will take you.
We are also here to assist all associations in record management, we are not bound to any one sanctioning body, everyone is welcome
- Trainers and gyms find your fighters sparring partners and fight matches.
- Promoters can easily contact trainers to fill your fight cards or re-match last minute withdrawals.
- Fighters ensure you are easily accessible by promoters and potential sponsors. We aim to get your names known within the fighting community and to encourage more interstate matches.
- Businesses For a unique and exciting way to advertise your business and support our sport, why not join our NRF Partner Program today!
For more information or to register please browse the rest of our website or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to assisting all fighters, gyms, promoters and businesses across Australia to help get our sport the recognition it deserves throughout the nation.
Nationally Registered Fighters (Australia)
TRAIN HARD! ~ FIGHT STRONG!
YOUR NRF TEAM:
- A WMC 58.97kg QLD State Title Holder
- 2016 Nominated in top 10 Australia Muay Thai Awards Pro Fighter of the Year
- 2015 Nominated in top 5 Australia Muay Thai Awards Pro of the Year
- 2014 Australia Muay Thai Awards Female Up & Coming Fighter of the Year
- Bronze Medal 2014 Muaythai Australia National Championships
- Represented Australian in 2014 at the IFMA World Championships in Malaysia
- Founder of NRF (Australia)
- Founder of FightSys – Gym Management System
- One of the Australian Muay Thai Awards Founders
- 2015 – International Kickboxer Magazine Article
- 2014 – IFMA Oceania Interview
- 2014 – Sledgehammer Fight show (Episode 7) (Video)
- 2014 – Uppercut TV interview (Video)
- 2014 – Interview for MuayTash
- Punish Fight Gear
- Momentum Muscle Therapy
- Urban Fight Gym
- Performance Eating
- Razia Fight Apparel